An email signature is an easy way to ‘market’ a simple message at the bottom of your emails. If you’d like to send an eco-friendly message in your emails why not consider adding something like this to your signature:
P Please consider the environment before printing this email.*
How to set-up an email signature in Outlook
If you don’t know how to set up an email signature, here is a quick guide.
- Open Outlook
- Click the ‘Tools’ menu at the top
- Scroll down the menu and select ‘Options’
- Open the ‘Mail Format’ tab
- At the bottom of the window click the ‘Signatures’ button
- Now click ‘New’. A ‘Create New Signature’ window appears
- Enter the name of your new signature, e.g. ‘Eco-signature’
- Click ‘Next >’. The ‘Edit Signature’ window appears
- Now enter your eco-friendly message, or if you prefer copy and paste the following:
P Please consider the environment before printing this email.
(and change the font of the ‘P’ to Webdings).
To change the colour, font size, etc. click on ‘Font’ in the ‘Edit Signature’ window and use the available options to edit the appearance of your signature.
- Now click ‘OK’ and ‘OK’ again.
- Don’t forget to apply your new signature by selecting it in the drop down menu and clicking the Apply button.
You’ll probably want to add your name and anything else you want to display in your signature, or alternatively simply add the eco-friendly message to your current signature by editing it.
*If you see a P at the start of this sentence instead of a symbol that’s because your browser does not support webdings. However, Outlook and most emails will display the symbol correctly.
Other ideas for eco-friendly email signature messages
You might also like to consider other eco-friendly messages in your email signature. If you send a lot of emails to customers you could add a link to your websites environment page. For example:
To find out how you can be more eco-friendly with the consortium go to www.theconsortium.co.uk/ecofriendly
The web address should automatically turn into a link.
Put a new eco-fact in your email signature every week or month
If you like eco-related facts, why not put a different fact in your signature every week or every month. You can get some good ones in our eco-friendly facts and quotes section.
Spread your words of wisdom
Have you ever said something about the environment and thought, hmm that was quite good. Why not use that for your eco-friendly email signature.
Do you have any other ideas for good eco-friendly email signatures?
If so post your ideas in the comments below…
Please do not print this page
115 billion sheets of paper are used annually for PC printers.